New Zealand Rugby has two governance opportunities available in 2021. These two positions are an exciting opportunity to play a key role in governing the future of rugby in NZ and to contribute to the continued success of our teams in black.
We invite applications for one Appointed position and nominations for one Nominated (Māori Representative) position. Both vacancies are three-year terms starting on or about 29 April 2021.
NZR’s purpose is to lead, grow, support and promote our game. We represent NZ on rugby organisations internationally. We are responsible for the performance of the All Blacks, Black Ferns and other men’s and women’s teams in black. In partnership with the 26 Provincial Unions, we contribute to the growth of rugby at all levels. NZR has current income levels in excess of $180 million per annum, with over 80% generated through sales of domestic and global sponsorship and broadcasting rights.
- A corporate governance and strategic skillset, monitoring all aspects of the business, including the interests of relevant stakeholders.
- Candidates who complement and strengthen the expertise of the NZR Board.
- Candidates for the Māori Representative position must be a representative of Māori (as defined by the Te Ture Whenua Maori Act 1993).
- The ability to act and think independently of any particular stakeholders, in the best interests of rugby across all of NZ.
- Board diversification to ensure it is representative of both NZ and its rugby community (particularly if incumbent Board members are not reappointed or re-elected).
- International experience and networks, particularly Asia/ Pacific and North America.
- Commercial expertise, with an ongoing focus on revenue generation.
- Product innovation expertise, with insight into rapid societal change.
The two incumbent Board Members (Richard Dellabarca and Dr Farah Palmer) intend to seek reappointment.
Persons interested in the Appointed Board Member position should apply to NZR directly.
Persons interested in the Nominated Board Member position must be nominated by a Provincial Rugby Union and should first contact one of those Unions.
It is possible to apply for the Appointed Board Member position and be nominated for the Nominated Board Member position in the same year (although a person can only be appointed to one position).
Successful candidates will be selected by an Appointments and Remuneration Committee.
Applications for the Appointed position should include a CV, confirmation of the matters referred to above and a covering letter. Applications are to be sent to AppointedBoardApplications@nzrugby.co.nz.
Applications and Nominations close Friday, 5 February 2021 at 5.00pm.