New Zealand Rugby, one of New Zealand’s largest and leading sporting organisations, has three exciting governance opportunities.
We invite applications for the Appointed Board Member position and nominations for two (2) Nominated Board Member positions on its Board. The appointed vacancy and one of the nominated vacancies relate to three-year terms commencing on or about 30 April 2020. The second nominated vacancy relates to a two-year term.
New Zealand Rugby’s purpose is to lead, grow, support and promote New Zealand’s game. It represents New Zealand on rugby organisations internationally, has ultimate responsibility for the performance of the All Blacks, Black Ferns and other men’s and women’s teams in black and, in partnership with the 26 Provincial Unions, contributes to the health of rugby at all levels. New Zealand Rugby has current income levels in excess of $180 million per annum, with over 80% of that income being generated through the sale of domestic and global sponsorship and broadcasting rights.
General requirements for the roles:
- Corporate governance focus, with responsibility for setting the strategic direction for rugby in New Zealand and monitoring the performance of all aspects of the business, while taking into account the interests of all relevant stakeholders.
- Candidates for all positions that complement and strengthen the expertise of the NZR Board.
- The ability to act and think independently of any particular stakeholder or stakeholders in rugby in New Zealand, and in the best interests of rugby across all of New Zealand.
Specific requirements that have been identified:
- Board diversification to ensure it is representative of both New Zealand and its rugby community.
- International experience and networks, particularly Asia/ Pacific and North America.
- Broadcasting and/or commercial expertise, with an ongoing focus on revenue generation for the growth of the game.
- Product innovation expertise, with insight into rapid societal change.
Persons interested in the Appointed Board Member position should apply to NZR directly.
Persons interested in one of the Nominated Board Member positions must be nominated by a Provincial Rugby Union, and therefore should contact one of those Unions in the first instance.
It is possible to apply for the Appointed Board member position and be nominated for the Nominated Board Member positions in the same year (although a person can only be appointed to one position).
Successful candidates for all three positions will be selected by an Appointments and Remuneration Committee.
All applications for the Appointed position should include a CV, confirmation of the matters referred to above, and a covering letter. Applications are to be made via New Zealand Rugby’s careers site or sent to AppointedBoardApplications@nzrugby.co.nz
Applications and Nominations close Friday, 7 February 2020 at 5.00pm.